05 April 2016

PASMA comments on roof fall

PASMA comments on roof fall

A solar panel specialist has been fined £153,000 after a worker was seriously injured in a fall through a fragile roof light in Kent. It was determined that a lack of training on the use of mobile access towers contributed to the accident.


Our Director of Training, Stuart Hopkins, commented: "This is an unfortunate and entirely preventable incident. No one should use mobile access towers or any other means of accessing height without being competent to do so, which can be achieved through training, technical knowledge and experience."


For more information on the safe use of mobile access towers, click here, and for further information on PASMA training - which includes a section on fragile roofs - please click here.


See an extract from the original story below:


Glasgow-based P V Solar UK Limited was sentenced at Canterbury Crown Court after an investigation by the HSE found that more could and should have been done to prevent the fall.


The court had heard in a hearing in January 2016, when the company pleaded guilty to three health and safety offences, that the injured worker was part of a three man team working on the pool building to replace faulty solar panels that were initially installed by the same company in April 2011.


The fragile roof also contained eight roof lights and he fell through one of these as he walked on the roof while carrying a panel.


HSE established that a scaffold tower, ladder and safety harness had been provided for the panel replacement work.


But none of the installation team had received any formal training or instruction on how to use them.


Other measures could also have been taken, such as providing full scaffolding or hard covers for the rooflights.


The full article can be found on Construction Enquirer.


 

back to news listings